Translate

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Diapers: Cloth v.s. Disposable. Which to buy?

In my next post, I will be linking the products that I am using for cloth diapers and the cloth diapers themselves that are working very well!  I am currently using cloth diapers on the twin infants that I am the nanny for.  I love the cloth diapers and products that I am using and would not change it for the world.  I am also the person who does the laundry and it is truly not that cumbersome.   It just becomes part of the routine.   I recommend Cloth Diapers.  If you can think of any pros or cons that I did not list, feel free to add them to the list via comments.  Weigh in.  

Cloth Diapers

Pros:
--COST: You spend less money during the diaper changing period.  I feel that even the most expensive cloth diapers you choose will end up saving you in the long run over even the cheapest disposable ESPECIALLY if you have multiple babies at once.  
--It is a more natural way of changing your baby.
--Fewer diaper rashes.
--Possibility of assisting with earlier potty training.  The child will more easily feel that they are wet and want to move on to the toilet.

Cons:
--Cloth can be messier. (I recommend you find a cloth diaper that has a good removable liner.)
--Depending on the kind you get, they can be difficult to change.
--Certain cloth diapers are less absorbent than others and need to be changed more often.  
--More loads of laundry every week.  I have found that this depends on the quantity you get.  I recommend you get enough diapers for 2 to 3 days of diaper changes.  This way, you can rotate the diapers and they will not wear out.  
--I am not sure how they hold up overnight, but have read up on it and have not heard of too many problems with it.
--Poopy diapers can smell the house up, though there is a product I have personally used to lessen if not eliminate this fact.  

Disposable Diapers

Pros:
--Easily/quickly changed.
--I have personally seen them hold a lot on overnights. (Do not let this point deter you from cloth, as stated above, I am the nanny and the people I nanny for use a disposable JUST for overnights only).
-- No extra laundry.  

Cons:
--Fills up landfills.
--Diaper rashes seem to occur more often.
--Disposable diapers means disposable wipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment