Translate

Saturday, February 22, 2014

All About Teethers

It is important when looking for a teether to make sure the teether will reach more than just the extreme front of their gum.  This being said, you want to make sure it is a teether that they will not choke on either.  The ideal teether will have these qualities:
1) Will not choke/gag child
2) Has different textures to it (smooth/bumpy)
3) Soft/room temperature ones

**Ones that go in the freezer are difficult for children to grasp/ put into their mouths very far.  Their little hands tend to get too cold from holding it as well.  I would recommend having at least 1 for when your toddler is learning to walk.  Toddlers trip, fall, and split lips.


Let's start off with ones I am not so fond of.  The ones I am about to list I do not like, because it appears to only reach their two front teeth, but are awkward to hold:

1) Dr. Brown's 'functional fruit'
I am extremely not crazy about this one.  It was useless for being 'cold' and doesn't reach baby's mouth too well.  Cold or warm, my verdict is worthless. 

2) Bright Starts Polar Gel Teether

This is one of the most common teethers that I see children have.  These teethers do not go very far at ALL into the child's mouth.  I have seen children try and it makes the sides of their mouths red raw!  Not raw as in bleeding, just very red and uncomfortable looking.  If you look closely at the picture, it IS a good example of the kind of texture you want to look for in a teether.

3) Odd/wide teethers like these:
Teethers like the two I pictured above are entirely to wide for baby to put in his/her mouth even a little bit.  These teethers will not really help your teething baby at all. 

THE TEETHER TO BUY:
This is genuinely the most fantastic teether I have ever seen in my life.  I have personally seen the yellow one, but not the green flower rattle.  I hear very good things about the rattle though.  The yellow teether not only has little bumps that will help baby feel texture on their gum, but it is soft and flexible.  Baby can easily grasp this teether and work on some important developmental skills and milestones.  Some of those include hand to mouth coordination, grasping, and hand to hand toy transfer.  

To buy this teether, follow the link:

No comments:

Post a Comment